Morning : excellent and fair


'This was not judgment day– only morning. Morning : excellent and fair.'


En général, je suis surtout fan des incipit. Mais il y a quelques explicit qui m'ont remuée à eux seuls autant que tout le roman qu'ils fermaient. Par exemple le 'I have had my vision', à la fin de To the Lighthouse. Et là, celui de Sophie's Choice, au débouché d'un long roman sombre et saccadé de lumière comme l'orage, comme les états d'âme de Nathan :

I had abominable dreams – which seemed to be a compendium of all the tales of Edgar Allan Poe : myself being split in twain by monstruous mechanisms, drowned in a whirling vortex of mud, being immured in stone and, most fearsomely, buried alive. All night long I had the sensation of helplessness, speechlessness, an inability to move or cry against the inexorable weight of earth as it was flung in thud-thud-thuding rhythm against my rigidly paralyzed, supine body, a living cadaver being prepared for burial in the sands of Egypt. The desert was bitterly cold.
When I awoke it was early morning. I lay looking straight up at the blue-green sky with its translucent shawl of mist; like a tiny orb or crystal, solitary and serene, Venus shone through the haze above the quiet ocean. I heard children chattering nearby. I stirred. 'Izzy, he's awake!''G'wan, yah mutha's mustache!''Fuuuck you!' Blessing my resurrection, I realized that the children had covered me with sand, protectively, and that I lay as safe as a mummy beneath this fine, envelopping overcoat. It was then in my mind I inscribed the words : 'Neath cold sand I dreamed of death/but woke at dawn to see/in glory, the bright, the morning star.
This was not judgment day– only morning. Morning : excellent and fair.


Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Les 40 règles de la religion de l'amour

Pétrarque et la bataille de l'"arabisme"

Tout cela est si lent, si lourd, si triste…